Recipe: One-pot Butternut Squash + Kale Chickpea Curry
On the list of meals that are my favorite, one-pot meals and savory curries are both on my list for the cool winter months. This slightly sweet and savory curry fits the bill! It only requires one-pot, takes less than a half an hour to make and it's packed with plants- which I know we could always use more of, in the winter months, just by nature of rich casseroles and meaty stews. This recipe makes enough for the four of us, but it's simple enough to double or triple for a crowd. Don't forget the garlicky naan bread- or a hearty loaf of GF, if gluten isn't your thing; it lends well to dipping!
One-Pot Butternut Squash + Kale Chickpea Curry
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp coriander 1 tsp cumin 1/2 tsp cardamom
dash of pepper
1-2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 cups raw butternut squash
1 cup broth
1/2-1 cup full-fat coconut milk
2 cups finely chopped kale
sea salt to taste
1. Heat oil to medium in a large dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot. Add onion and cook until translucent. Stir in garlic and let cook for 20-30 seconds.
2. Stir in all spices and let toast for 15-20 seconds.
3. Add drained and rinsed chickpeas, stir to coat with spices.
4. Stir in squash and top with broth and coconut milk.
5. Bring to a rolling simmer. Reduce to low and let simmer at least 20 minutes to cook squash. Stir in kale in last 5 minutes to wilt. Season to taste. Add more coconut milk if desired. Serve warm.