I grew up eating [American] Chinese food at a little spot in my tiny New England beach town, New Dragon. I'm sure it's the one and only New Dragon Chinese restaurant in the Universe, and I LOVED it. Everything from the unidentifiable Egg Foo Yung to the breaded chicken fingers dipped in what I believe now might be straight corn syrup, and all the Lo Mein.
These days, I'm not as into into the sickly-sweet, questionably textured meat covered in a slightly-sticky sauce, but there is something so comforting- and darn delicious, about a good chicken and broccoli.
Even better if it comes together in 20 minutes.
Enter my 20-minute Instant Pot Chicken and Broccoli. Make it, serve it up with some rice or cauli rice, grab some chopsticks and thank me later 😉.
p.s. It happens to be gluten-free, grain-free and dairy free for those of you who need it.
Instant Pot Chicken and Broccoli
1 tbsp avocado oil (or oil of choice)
1/2 small onion, diced
1.5-2 lbs chicken thighs (or breast), cubed
1/3 cup coconut aminos
1/2 cup chicken broth (more if you would like more sauce)
2 tbsp honey (coconut syrup or agave work here, too)
1 tbsp sesame oil
4 cloves garlic
1" ginger, minced (about 1/2 tsp)
optional: 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
2-3 cups broccoli florets
sea salt to taste
1. Add 1 oil to instant pot and heat to sautee function.
2. Add onion and cook until beginning to turn transluent.
3. Add chicken and cook until beginning to brown.
4. Meanwhile, whisk together sauce ingredients (coconut aminos to ginger) and pour over top chicken.
5. Close lid, turn to manual and set to cook for 10 minutes. When finished, release steam. If desired, remove 4 tbsp of sauce and whisk with arrowroot to thicken. Return to pot and stir.
6. Add broccoli to pot and stir. Cover for 3 minutes (on keep warm) or until just steamed. Season to taste and serve.
Serve over rice, cauliflower rice or quinoa.