Spring is in full swing, which means it is salad season! But hear me-- I am NO garden-salad-with-italian-dressing kinda girl (unless it's that salad from Olive Garden. I haven't been there for years, but why is it so good? Don't tell me, I don't want to know.)
I like a salad that is hearty, and packed with flavor- with textures and contrast. And this grilled beet and asparagus salad, with crunchy walnuts and salty feta over slightly-spicy arugula, with the slightly sweet turmeric honey golden dressing? Yeah, it fits the bill. Serve it as a delicious spring appetizer, or throw a steak, chicken breast, shrimp or some tempeh on the grill next to it and you have dinner!
Grilled Beet and Asparagus salad with honey golden dressing
3-4 medium beets, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed
oil and sea salt as needed
1/3 cup feta cheese 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
3 cups arugula
1. Heat a grill pan over medium high heat. Toss beets and asparagus, separately, in oil and a big pinch of sea salt. I like a dash of garlic powder on the asparagus, as well.
2. Separate vegetables on grill or grill one at a time (grill asparagus first to avoid staining). They will take different amount of time to cook, so avoid placing confusion by placing separately.
3. Grill asparagus 5-6 minute or until lightly charred and soft with a nice bite.
Grill beets 8-10 minute per side until grill marks form and beets are soft through.
4. Let vegetables cool. Once cool, Slice beets in half moons and slice asparagus into bite-sized pieces.
5. Layer 2-4 plates (depending on dinner vs. side serving) with arugula, grilled beets and asparagus, feta and walnuts. Drizzle with dressing (see recipe below) before serving.
Honey Turmeric Golden Dressing
This sweet-and-savory dressing has all the flavor and benefits of golden milk, in dressing form!
1/4 cup olive or avocado oil
1 tsp prepared dijon mustard
1 tsp ground or fresh grated turmeric
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp honey
optional: 1-2 tbsp prepared mayonnaise for creaminess
big pinch sea salt
1. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Blend in a blender or with an immersion blender until emulsified. Use mayo if you want a creamier dressing. Add more honey, lemon or sea salt as desired to taste.