Fall flavors, to me, mean a juxtaposition of sweet and spiced, bitter and saccharine. This salad, with it's contrasting flavors of quintessentially autumn green kale, massaged with a simple yet curious honeyed and spiced dressing, sweet and savory roasted delicata squash (our family's favorite of the squash family), crispy, creamy pecans and bright and sour fresh pomegranate (we especially like getting our hands dirty and removing the arils, ourselves), as well as creamy and salted crumbled goat cheese. It's the perfect fall salad, if you ask me-- bound to be your new favorite!
Massaged Kale, Roasted Squash and Pomegranate Salad
Ingredients: 1 batch massaged kale
1 roasted butternut squash
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds 1/2 cup chopped pecans 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
Massaged Kale: 1 bunch kale, de-stemmed and torn (about 5-6 cups)
1 batch honey orange cinnamon dressing (below)
1. Place kale in a large bowl. Toss with dressing. Massage with hands until it begins to wilt. Taste for seasoning.
Dressing: 1/3 cup olive or avocado oil
2 tbsp orange juice
2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1-2 tbsp honey (to taste- add more for a sweeter dressing)
1 tsp dijon mustard big pinch cinnamon
big pinch cumin
pinch sea salt
1. Whisk or blend all ingredients together well. Use immediately or whisk again before using over kale.
Roasted Delicata Squash:
1 delicata squash, sliced lengthwise, seeds scooped and sliced (no need to peel unless desired)
olive or avocado oil + sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Spread squash on sheet pan, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast for 20-25 minutes, flipping once, until soft on the inside and golden on the outside
1. Fill bowl with massaged kale.
2. Arrange squash, pomegranate, pecans and goat cheese. Toss before serving.