I've been having the best time experimenting in the kitchen lately. These plant-based tempeh tacos are one of our new favorites! And where we're not 100% plant-based, we do love plant-centric options for a few reasons:
1️⃣ The more plants the better!
2️⃣ They often require way less cooking (tempeh comes together in a flash vs. chicken or beef)
3️⃣ They're super budget-friendly (a pack of sprouted tempeh <--- our preferred variety from Trader Joes is only $1.99!)
Plus, they're SUPER delicious. My whole family (kids included) devour these!
Roasted Sweet Potato Tempeh Tacos
1 batch roasted sweet potatoes
1 batch tempeh taco 'meat'
1 cup red cabbage, shredded
1/4 cup cilantro
1 medium avocado, sliced or mashed with 2-3 tsp lime juice and a pinch of sea salt
6-8 small to medium flour or corn tortillas (we love Siete brand, they're corn-free)
1. Prepare sweet potatoes and taco meat as directed (recipes below).
2. Layer each taco with avocado, tempeh, sweet potatoes, cabbage and cilantro. Enjoy!
Not 100% plant-based? These are also fabulous with a sprinkle of cojita!.
Soy-free? Swap out the tempeh for black beans.
Roasted sweet potatoes:
2 large sweet potatoes
avocado or olive oil
sea salt, garlic powder and cumin to taste (add a pinch of cayenne for a kick!)
1. Preheat oven to 375. Toss sweet potatoes in oil and sprinkle generously with spices.
2. Roast for 25-30 minutes, tossing once, until soft and lightly browned.
Tempeh taco 'meat' 2 tsp olive oil
1/2 small onion, diced small
1 block tempeh, chopped small or pulsed in food processor
1 1/2-2 tsp chili powder (to taste)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp coriander
big pinch sea salt (to taste)
1/4-1/2 cup veggie broth
1. Heat oil in a medium sautee pan. Add onion and cook until translucent.
2. Add tempeh on top and let cook until starting to brown. Stir, add seasonings and let cook 2-3 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
3. Deglaze pan with broth and stir to combine. Season more if needed and serve.