Recipe: Easy Weeknight Green Chile Enchiladas
I've been making these enchiladas for years, and never written down a recipe, because they're not really rocket science-- but friends, THESE are the type of recipes I want to bring you more of this year. Almost-not-recipe, recipes. I might have the culinary credentials but I'm certainly no gourmet chef on a weeknight with two kids running around. I'm a mom, just like you- and I need quick, simple, family-friendly meals that come together in little time, are delicious and make us feel good, too. Sure, I might throw in a few longer, more involved recipes- and even though I feel confident most of the recipes on this site are very non-gourmet and easy to prepare, I really want you to feel like cooking at home is do-able. Because cooking doesn't need to be hard, and I don't want you to dread dinner, every night.
So here is my first recipe of 2020- if you can even call it that. A handful of ingredients, simple, done in about thirty minutes. My kind of weeknight dinner. Enjoy!
Weeknight Green Chile Enchiladas
8 oz green enchilada sauce (this one is my favorite)
1 package medium-sized tortillas (we like gluten-and-corn-free Siete Foods brand)
1lb chicken thighs or breast- cooked and shredded (see directions for instant pot, below or use rotisserie)
1/2 cup sour cream 1 4-oz can green chiles
1- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
Cilantro, stemmed and chopped, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Pour 1/3 of the enchilada sauce into an 8x8" dish.
3. In a small bowl, combine shredded chicken (I prefer thighs- so much more flavor!), sour cream and green chiles.
4. Place a small amount of mixture, as well as tablespoon of shredded cheese in a tortilla. Roll tightly and place on top of sauce. Repeat until all chicken mixture is used up (we typically get 6-7 enchiladas out of this recipe. Double for a larger batch).
5. Cover with remaining sauce and top with shredded cheese.
6. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with cilantro before serving.
Chicken thighs in the instant pot or slow cooker:
1 lb chicken thighs
1 cup chicken broth (or water-- enough to cover)
1. Combine chicken thighs, broth and a pinch of sea salt in the instant pot (or slow cooker).
2. Set instant pot on high pressure for 20 minutes. Let naturally release for 10 minutes, shred and let cool slightly before mixing. For slow cooker, cook on low heat for 4-5 hours, shred and let cool slightly.