As the weather warms up I am all about the FRESH, bright, cool flavors- especially when they're wrapped in a tortilla (though let's be honest- I always like things wrapped in a tortilla!). These tacos are the perfect combination of savory, sweet and a little spicy- and despite the fact that there's three parts, as most of my recipes, they truly come together in no time. Want to make them even quicker? Feel free to sub the avocado cream for guac or a pre-made pineapple salsa, if you'd like- but keep the combo- it's a winner!
Did I mention these are tomato and onion-free? For those who are sensitive, they're still made with chili powder (and therefore not nightshade-free), but I do find many of my clients with digestive struggles do well with less tomatoes and onions- and I know tomato-free taco recipes can be hard to find. So if that's you- these are for you! And if it's not, you'll enjoy them just the same! They're also FODMAP friendly (avoid garlic powder and use lactose-free yogurt or sour cream for the sauce).
1 lb jumbo shrimp, deveined (peeled if you prefer), defrosted if pre-frozen
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
juice of 1/2 lime
1. Heat avocado oil in a large cast iron or nonstick skillet to medium high heat.
2. Toss shrimp with spices and a big pinch of sea salt.
3. Cook shrimp for 2-3 minutes per side, until cooked through. Add lime juice just before serving and toss well to combine.
Sweet and Spicy Fresh Pineapple Salsa: 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 medium jalapeno, seeded and brunoise (extra small dice)
2-3 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp honey
1. Toss pineapple with cilantro and jalapeno.
2. In a seperate bowl, whiwsk honey, lime juice and a pinch of sea salt.
3. Toss pineapple mix with dressing and let sit for at least 20 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
Avocado Yogurt Cream:
1 medium to large avocado
1/4 cup greek yogurt
1-2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 clove garlic (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp sea salt (more to taste)
1. Combine all in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Taste for seasoning and enjoy!
To assemble: Tortillas of choice (Siete brand are our favorite)
Shredded red cabbage
extra cilantro and lime to top
1. Layer tortillas with cream, shrimp, salsa, fresh cabbage and top with extra cilantro and lime. Enjoy!