Three weeks into the new year now, and now is about the time my inbox becomes flooded with messages:
“I fell off my New Year’s resolution again, I am SO done with dieting...”
“I REALLY want to make changes to my health this year and I feel like I’ve failed already…”
“I don’t even know where to start making changes if I’m not following a plan…”
“I was SO GOOD the first week and a half, and then we had a birthday party and I ate all of the things this weekend…”
I get it, friend, and I am here for you. But I know what you really want to know is, “Should I hire a coach this year?” and, “Will it be worth it?”.
As someone who has been in the coaching world for nearly a decade- both as a coach and being coached myself in everything from health, fitness, business and intuitive eating, coaching is powerful and can be the catalyst for BIG changes in your life. But there are a few things to consider when you’re deciding whether or not to hire a coach, this year. Here are three reasons why you should hire a coach this year (and three reasons you shouldn’t).
Why you should hire a coach this year
1. You want solid guidance on how to create goals that align with the life you want to live and make your goals a reality.
If you’re not even sure what your goals are, or what they should be to create the life you want to live, a coach can be exactly what you need to define and align your goals with the greater vision you have for your life. When your goals are well-defined and aligned with your values and what you want from your life, they will propel you forward, not hold you back. A coach can help you create those goals, break them down into manageable steps and be there to support and encourage you in creating change.
2. You want ongoing support and encouragement as you work towards your goals.
Follow the steps to creating change is simple. That doesn’t mean it’s easy. We could all use support in making lasting changes, and help redirecting if we head off course. If you want ongoing support and encouragement in reaching your goals (that’s not from your spouse or your dog), a good coach will be there for you every step of the way.
3. You desire a neutral, un-biased listening ear for your struggles and successes, whose only agenda is lifting you up and helping you become the best version of you.
Let’s be real- most people in our lives are not unbiased. A good coach is trained to help you reach your goals (of course, they’re also there to help you get real about whether your goals are realistic and healthy for you and your season), without prejudice. As humans, it’s normal to think one way is the best way. A good coach is here to help you find your best way, which is not necessarily the way that works for us or has worked for our former clients. We are here, for YOU, to help YOU become the best version of yourself possible. We are here first and foremost to listen, provide support, encouragement and suggestions when you desire them to help you move forward in your life.
With all that being said, coaching is incredible- but there are a few things to take into consideration if you’re thinking about hiring a coach to help you reach your goals.
Three reasons you shouldn’t hire a coach:
1. You want quick results. See this post for more on this one. We know sweeping overhauls don’t last (let’s be real, that’s probably why you’re reading this post, or you sent me one of the emails above). Quick fixes never lead to long term change. Coaching is a process, of opening up, leaning in and allowing the coach to guide you to new heights and explore new ways of thinking. Coaching, good coaching, provides an avenue for real, long term changes to occur, and those type of changes don’t happen overnight, or in one discovery session. Deciding to change is the beginning, creating change takes time. But the good news? Once you make those changes, ones that align with your values, they last.
2. You’re not willing to invest the time and money needed. Coaching is an investment. Not just in money, but in time. This doesn’t mean you need to be some sort of a millionaire to hire a coach (I, like many other coaches I know provide payment plans and other flexible options so that everyone who desires can make coaching work for their budget). I encounter a lot of women who desire to be coached, but they only want to sign up for one or two sessions, rather than two or three months at a time. See point one- coaching can take time. Rarely do I chat with someone once or twice and they’re radically changed enough to not need to come back and see me. Sure, some people just have a question or two they want cleared up, but I have packages for a reason: true change comes with an investment in your future self. THIS is why I offer free discovery calls. You wouldn’t buy a fancy new car without test driving it (at least, I hope not). I want to chat with you and make sure we jive before we move any further. Coaching is a relationship, and those who see the most success do so because they were comfortable enough to open up so we can dig deep and get to the root of their desires, creating change as we go.
3. You’re not willing to do the work. Ok girl, #realtalk. Just because you hired a coach doesn’t mean you’re going to see change. Coaching comes with work! Creating change is a journey, your coach is the guide, and a good coach will be there for you every step of the way, but you are in the driver’s seat. If you’re not willing to do the work, the change won’t happen. But if you are- if you are ready to make that change, girl, I can’t think of a better reason to say YES to coaching.
Ok, friend, think you’re ready for coaching? I've got a special little deal I've done the past couple of years you might perk your ear to: If you book a discovery call between now and the end of the month (it's ok if the call is happening a little later), you are eligible to sign on for a special 2-session package for only $149 (that means you’ll get three sessions for that price)- or $50 off. This is HUGE, as I typically only offer 3-and 6-month packages. Here’s why I’m offering it, for a limited time:
Think about this like leasing that luxury car. You’re not sure if you’re ready to buy, you’ve taken it for a spin and you like how it rides but you want to get to know it a little more before you make a bigger investment. I want you to experience what coaching can do for your life first hand, before you decide to move forward in making those big changes in your life. Take advantage of this opportunity, sister! This is YOUR year to make a change. I'm ready to guide you in it. Book your free 45-minute discovery session.