Have you ever made pizza at home? If you haven't yet, now is the time! We've had pizza night consistently on Saturdays for years- but it's only been in the past year that I've committed to making my own crust (ok, at least most of the time- mama needs a break sometimes, too!). It was mostly for budget purposes, even though pizza crust isn't exactly expensive (grabbing pizza from our favorite place IS, however!)- every way we can save, the better, right?!
I also LOVE the process of making homemade pizza- I first learned how when I spent a summer living in the south of Italy- what's not to love? But I didn't love the lengthy process of making traditional dough. Knead, rise, knead, rise, bake. I wanted to simplify the process so making pizza weekly (or bi-weekly, if you plan on doubling the recipe) felt simple and do-able. So after MANY tries (my family wasn't complaining!), here is my foolproof, 60-minute pizza crust- that only has FOUR ingredients (five, if you use sugar- but who's counting?!)
Easy Homemade Pizza Crust
Makes 1 12" pizza (double for two and freeze one!)
3/4 cup warm water (not scalding!)
1 tbsp cane sugar (optional, helps activate the yeast)
1 packet (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
2-2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp olive oil (more for bowl)
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Pour (warm) water in a large bowl and sprinkle yeast on top. Lightly whisk sugar in with yeast and let sit for around 10 minutes, until bubbly.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk 2 cups flour and salt.
4. When yeast is activated, add olive oil and flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time, whisking until dough begins to form. Using hands, add in remaining flour and knead until well-combined, adding up to another 1/4 cup flour if needed. Dough should be soft and slightly sticky.
5. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil in a heat-safe bowl and place dough in bowl. Turn to cover with oil.
6. Let sit, covered (with a towel or plastic wrap) on top of preheated oven for 60 minutes.
7. Remove from oven, knead a few times and roll into a 12" round. Place on pizza peel or baking sheet, top as desired and bake for 10-12 minutes, until crispy around the edges.