Recipe: Comfy Chicken Soup
Is there anything more comforting than a hot bowl of chicken soup on a cold and rainy fall day? One of my favorite things to make after my slow cooker chicken is a big pot of homemade bone broth, followed by chicken soup. I like to start with the classics: carrots, celery, onion and garlic, and though optional, I love adding in leek for extra flavor. Shredded chicken and seasonings round it out; and then I add whatever my heart desires that day. In the early fall when zucchini is still abundant, zucchini noodles make a fun spaghetti-like addition; I'll often add chopped kale or spinach for extra greens; sometimes my little asks me to add pasta to make it chicken noodle; or we'll change it up and add some diced sweet potato or butternut squash to the pot. My favorite thing about this recipe; aside from the abundance of variations is that it can be made in many different ways: in the slow cooker, the instant pot or the stovetop (but who has time for that, these days?!). However you choose to make it, I hope you'll enjoy a piping bowl of comfy chicken soup, this fall.
Comfy Chicken Soup
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or ghee 1 medium onion, diced 1 leek, halved and sliced thin (optional) 2 large carrots, diced 2 stalks celery, diced 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp dried herbs of choice 2-4 cups chicken, shredded sea salt and black pepper, to taste 6-8 cups broth/stock OPTIONAL: Add in sweet potato or butternut squash with chicken. Add chopped kale, spinach or spiralized zucchini noodles in last 5 minutes of cooking. Add cooked pasta at end to make it chicken noodle!
Stove option 1. Sweat onions, leeks, garlic, carrots and celery in oil or ghee until turning translucent.
2. Add shredded chicken and herbs and and cover with broth.
3. Bring mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer, covered, for 40-60 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
3. If using, add greens in last 5 minutes of cooking. Season and serve.
Slow cooker option
1. Place all vegetables, spices and a pinch of sea salt in crockpot. Drizzle with olive oil and mix well. Top with chicken and cover with broth.
2. Cook in slow cooker for 3 hours on high, or 6-8 hours on low.
3. If using, add greens in last 5 minutes of cooking. Season and serve. Season to taste and serve.
Instant Pot: 1. Turn IP onto sautee mode. Add oil and Sweat onions, leeks, garlic, carrots and celery until turning translucent.
2. Add shredded chicken and and cover with broth.
3. Switch to manual and cook for 10 minutes. Release pressure. Season to taste and stir in greens if using. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
#soup #souprecipe #chickensoup #bonebroth #bonebrothrecipe #bonebrothhealthybenefits #familyfood #familydinner #healthyfamilydinner #fallfood #healthyfallrecipe #healthyfamilyfood #kidfriendly #kidfriendlyrecipe #dinner #leftovers #slowcooker #slowcookersoup #slowcookerrecipe #instantpot #instantpotrecipe #instantpotrecipeformoms