A month post-baby and after a few weeks of being gifted meals by some incredible friends (so grateful!) we are slowly working through the meals I stocked up in our freezer as I work on figuring out how to make dinner happen as a mama of two (I made my first full meal the other night, thanks to Hello Fresh! Now to start meal prepping, again). One of our long-time favorite meals (and one I love gifting to new mamas, myself)? This Tex Mex Turkey Taco Pie. I keep it mild (sans jalapenos) for nursing mamas, but otherwise, this is a super simple, easy-prep meal that freezes well and heats up beautifully for an easy one-pan dinner, no matter if you're postpartum or just prepping for a busy week. I shared it a couple years ago, here- and I thought it was about time for an update!
Tex Mex Turkey Taco Pie with sweet potatoes Serves 3-5 1/2 tbsp oil of choice 1 small onion, diced 1 small bell pepper, diced 1 lb. lean ground turkey 1 batch taco seasoning (or 2 tsp chili powder + 1 tsp cumin + 1/2 tsp oregano) 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced sea salt as needed 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese (optional) 4 medium jalapeños, sliced thin (optional) 1. Preheat oven to 375. Heat oil to medium. Add onion and bell pepper and cook until translucent.
2. Add ground turkey and taco seasoning and cook until turkey is brown throughout.
3. Meanwhile, steam or boil sweet potatoes until soft. Drain well.
4. Mash sweet potatoes with sea salt until smooth.
5. In an 8x8 baking dish, layer turkey, mashed sweet potatoes, cheese if using and jalapeños.
6. Place in oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, until hot throughout. If desired, broil in last 2-3 minutes to brown cheese before serving. Re-heats well as a meal prep item!
To freeze: Freeze prepped but not cooked. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, followed by foil. De-frost completely and remove covering before heating, 20-30 minutes at 375. Broil if desired to melt cheese.
#recipe #healthyrecipe #familyrecipe #familyfriendly #mealprep #mealpreprecipe #freezermeal #freezerfriendly #cleaneating #cleanfreezermeal #healthymealprep #turkeyrecipe #poultryrecipe #healthycasserole #healthyfamilyrecipe #healthyfamily