I love a good weekend breakfast. You know, the kind where you sleep in a little bit, spend a little bit too much time waking up (but hey, it's the weekend!), and take the morning slowly, first a mug of coffee and a longer, lazy breakfast that takes a little extra time than your usual toast-or-smoothie routine- but is so worth the wait.
This Autumn-inspired skillet meal is exactly that. It doesn't take much time at all coming together once the ingredients are chopped and ready to go (perfect meal prep material), but the extra time spent chopping is worth the the sweet and savory combination that hits the spot on a lazy Saturday at home. This recipe serves about four, but it's easy to save and reheat leftovers, simply topping with an extra fresh sunny-side-up egg the following day.
Sweet Potato, Apple + Sausage Skillet
prep ahead: 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed and roasted or steamed
2 medium apples, peeled and diced
4 green onions, sliced thin
4 Italian chicken sausage links, chopped
sea salt and black pepper
2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
sunny side-up eggs, as desired
1. Heat ghee or coconut oil in a medium sautee pan.
2. Add chicken sausage and cook until browned.
3. Stir in apple and cover. Cook 2-3 minutes until starting to soften.
4. Stir in roasted sweet potatoes and green onions. Let cool until hot.
5. Season with sea salt and pepper. Divide between 4 plates and top with an egg if desired.
Do you have a favorite weekend breakfast?